Anyone who has ever experienced a hurricane knows the importance of being adequately prepared. In addition to putting up your hurricane shutters and ensuring that all small items and debris have been safely removed from your yard, you should also consider what supplies you will need if you plan to ride out the storm at home.
In fact, you should set up a small area in your home to store your storm preparation items. A small closet or even a shelf or two in your pantry should be sufficient. These are some items you definitely want to have on hand if a hurricane is expected to hit in your area:
- An adequate supply of water to last at least 3 days. The general rule of thumb is one gallon per person per day, so that’s 12 gallons for a family of 4.
- A 3 day supply of non-perishable food items. Think canned meats and vegetables, dry cereal, cookies and crackers, nuts, protein bars, and canned juice.
- And don’t forget a manual can opener!
- A first aid kit - including sterile dressings, antibiotic ointment, burn cream, latex gloves, various sizes of adhesive bandages, pain reliever, tweezers, scissors, and antacid and anti-diarrhea tablets. And don’t forget about any necessary prescription medications as well.
- Rain gear, plastic sheeting, and tarps in case you need to cover household items to prevent water damage.
- A flashlight and dust masks for every member of your family.
- An emergency radio and a supply of batteries.
Of course, these are just the things it is important to have around the house if you do not plan to evacuate. If you do plan to evacuate, however, there are some additional considerations.
- Make sure to have at least one vehicle filled with gas.
- Make sure that every member of your family is familiar with your evacuation plan.
- Know the locations of local shelters, including pet-friendly shelters if this applies to you.
- Store all important documents in a watertight container and have this on hand for evacuation.
The one good thing about hurricanes, at least compared to other natural disasters, is the advance notice you will have. Whether you plan to evacuate or ride out the storm at home, knowing what to expect and when can give you the advantage when planning for your storm preparation. Valley Food Storage has everything you will need in the event of a hurricane or other natural disaster. From long-term and emergency food kits
to Grab & Go kits that will let you run out the door at a moment’s notice, Valley Food Storage has something to help you prepare for any type of emergency.