When it comes to survival, a lot of skills need to be in place in order to ensure that you and yours are safe, protected, and able to get through any situation. One thing that is often overlooked is the importance of knowing multiple knots. There are hundreds of knots out there, but some are more useful than others.
For those just mastering knots, here are 5 that you need to know for survival.
1. The Figure 8 Knot – This is a stopper knot that can be used to make sure ropes don’t run out of retaining devices. To tie it, loop the rope back around itself and then bring the end around the main part of the rope, then thread it back through itself as shown in this image: http://survivallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/figure-eight-knot.jpg
2. Square Knot – Also called a Reef Knot or Hercules Knot, this one is perfect for securing a rope around an object. It’s also easy to tie – just tie a left handed overhand knot followed by a right handed overhand knot. Here’s a closer look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atkErgmEGxA
3. Bowline Knot – The bowline knot can secure a rope to an object and can also create a fixed loop at the end of your rope or line. And it’s easy to untie even after a heavy load has been placed on it. This image shows how to tie this important knot with ease: http://survivallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/bowline-knot.jpg
4. The Clove Hitch – Also called the double hitch, it’s one of the most important knots out there and is primarily used as a binding knot or a crossing knot. Best of all, it just takes three simple steps to tie this knot. Here’s a basic breakdown of how to do so. http://survivallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/clove-hitch-knot.jpg
5. The Sheet Bend – This is a knot that joins two ropes together, and is one of the few types of bend knots that can be used on ropes or lines that are different diameters. To tie it, just follow these basic directions. http://survivallife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/sheetbend-knot.jpg
These are the most commonly used knots in the survival world, and each of them is well worth mastering for anyone who wants to be able to say with confidence that they’re ready for anything.